CalNonprofits Insurance Services

Managing a Remote Workforce? Is Your Nonprofit Covered?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

2020 has become the year of the remote worker, courtesy of the coronavirus pandemic. Is your nonprofit one of the many that has transitioned to remote operations? Have you considered how that change affects your insurance liabilities as a nonprofit?  CalNonprofits Insurance Services is a Trusted Choice Independent Insurance Agent®, and our expert team can help you reassess your risk picture. Managing a remote workforce may be new to you, but we have rich expertise in helping nonprofits manage risk — whether employees work from home or on-site. And because we represent multiple insurance companies, as a Trusted Choice Agent, we can offer your nonprofit customized coverage based on your unique and changing needs.  In addition, we can offer you resources and advice for developing your organization’s remote work program. It should address, at a minimum:

  1. Safety guidelines for a home office setup.
  2. Designated work, break, and lunch times.
  3. Safety training.
  4. Physical inspections of remote workers’ home offices.
  5. The workers’ compensation rules for your state as they apply to remote workers. 

Here are a few insurance questions we can help you answer.

Does the commercial general liability policy cover remote employees?

As part of your nonprofit insurance package, general liability protects your business against financial loss resulting from bodily injury, advertising injury, and property damage caused by your agency or employees. Our expert team, as Trusted Choice agents, can review your policy to be sure that you are still adequately covered while employing remote workers. 

If your remote employee must meet business clients from home, it will be your commercial general liability policy that must cover any injury, not the employee’s homeowner’s insurance.  We may suggest additional coverages such as management liability insurance to protect you and your workers from this and other risks not covered by your commercial general liability policy. 

Do I need additional property insurance?

Business property insurance protects the physical location of your organization and any tools, equipment, and inventory. Your commercial property policy may exclude or limit the coverage for property that is not located at your nonprofit’s premises. Our team of experts can help you determine if you need additional coverage for property used off-premises by remote workers.  An employee’s own homeowner’s policy usually will not cover the loss of employer-owned equipment that is damaged or stolen in their home

Are my remote workers covered by the workers’ compensation insurance my company purchases

It is incumbent on you as an employer to ensure a safe working environment for your employees — whether they work at your business location or from their homes. In general, your workers’ compensation insurance covers all of your workers for illness or injury arising out of or in the course of employment — no matter where they physically work.

Contact Us

Please contact us if you would like to schedule a complimentary consultation to review your insurance program. We can help you with reassessing your organization’s risk and help you with your nonprofit’s risk management plan. Also, see our Work From Home Kit. You can reach us at 888-427-5222 or To request a consultation click below.


Trusted Choice Independent Insurance Agents

About the Author

  • Founded in 1984 as a subsidiary of the California Association of Nonprofits (CalNonprofits), CalNonprofits Insurance Services was established during a time of diminishing insurance options for nonprofits. One of the driving reasons for establishing the association was to use the collective influence of the sector to secure more stable and quality insurance. We have developed, and are known for, our wide spectrum of services reflecting expertise in both the insurance and nonprofit sectors, our superior customer service, and our development of exclusive insurance products, including a highly successful dental and vision trust. We insure more than 1,200 nonprofit organizations throughout California and we are the only California brokerage specializing in insurance for nonprofits. Our clients range from newly established nonprofits all the way to venerable organizations with multiple locations statewide.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.